Chris Abbott


I was a late starter in most things in life, I got a B.H.(Hons) degree and a social work qualification at the age of 53 and did not start painting until I was 60.

In the last 4 years I have had some excellent tuition from a number of local artists, notably Rosemary Wells and Matthew Swain through the “Workers Educational Association”

Art has given me a fantastic new lease of life and a new way of expressing thoughts, feelings, emotions and ideas that are both challenging and important to me and perhaps my way of seeing things is not so strange after all.

Colour, shape and form have an enormous impact on my art. Artists that have influenced my development are Kurt Jackson, William Selby and Patrick Caulfield. Every day I discover new artists and new styles that inspire me to view things in a different light. It is this continuing discovery that makes painting and art so exciting and challenging.

In the last 18 months I have had work accepted at a number of exhibitions including:

Leicester Open
Chelsea Open
Patchings Farm Summer Exhibition
E.A.C Art Awards The Mall and The Bankside Gallery
View From the Top Gallery