Dan Smith


I am currently studying towards a degree in Interior Architecture & Design at Nottingham Trent University, after completing an Applied Art & Design A-Level course at Rawlins Community College, in Leicestershire. I found the course to be very rewarding – I got to attend workshops and lectures by local Graphic Designers and worked with local Artists. Throughout the course I tried many different techniques, worked with a wide range of media and was expected to work in an extremely professional manner. I also learnt how to handle clients and work to a set brief.

I am currently developing an interesting portfolio of 2D & 3D work, which includes the experimentation of line, structure, light, form, tone and colour. Over the past few years I have undertaken several courses to further my artistic skills and knowledge. I have attended Adobe Photoshop courses, life drawing and sculpture classes, and a workshop at the Leicester Print Workshop. I create my own artwork and gifts, which I sell through craft fairs and shops in my village. I also like to take photographs, and have a large portfolio of photographs.

In February 2006 I was part of a group of students that held an exhibition at the City Gallery in Leicester, where I had both 2D & 3D work on display. The exhibition was titled ‘Natural Forms’ and received extremely encouraging feedback. We designed our own promotional material, such as posters and adverts; and made the frames to present the pieces. I also had 2 pieces in the ‘Fresh 2’ exhibition last summer at View from the Top.

I have been able to work with many different people over the past few years, both through college and work of my own, including graphic design projects for local businesses and organisations. Some recent work includes Brand Recognition for local companies; Promotional material for a local car dealership; Internal & External adverts for a bar in Loughborough; In-House promotional material for a Hotel; Mural Design & Construction for Sileby Redlands Primary School; and from February 2006 to May 2007 I worked with the Beacon Players as set designer and also designed their programmes and flyers. I designed sets for ‘Party Piece’ by Richard Harris and ‘Absent Friends’ by Alan Aykbourn.

I have done a lot of research into many historical and contemporary artists, for projects I have been working on and they have inspired and influenced a lot of my work. I particularly like the work of Seb West, a contemporary artist from Cornwall who uses unusual techniques and materials to create unique pieces of work, which he sells from his gallery in St Ives. I am also inspired by the work of historical artists such as Leonardo Da Vinci, Antonio Gaudi, Nicola Hicks and Marc Chagall. More recently I have been experimenting with colour and lines, and have created some interesting pieces with ink on top of blocks of colour, similar to the style of Christopher Tate. For example painting blocks of colour with watercolour paint, and drawing the detail on top in pen.

For more information:
Tel: 07931 342865
Email: stansmith1@hotmail.co.uk