Gillian Choo


It has taken me quite some time to find my creative side, having ventured into research, publishing, teaching and martial arts along the way.

I am currently studying HND Design with Textiles at South Nottingham College. I am particularly drawn to print processes and like to experiment with combining traditional techniques such as screen and collograph printing with hand drawing, craft, photography and digital manipulation.

I am fascinated with form and structure, and like to use buildings and close-up views of plants as inspiration. I love learning new methods, and I am equally happy working in glorious colour or stark black and white. I can’t imagine ever settling down to one technique - there’s so much still to learn and too many new ideas still to try out.

I’m inspired by artists such as Lucienne Day (for her line work), and the Austrian painter Hundertwasser for his bold use of colour.

In 2007 I was nominated for a City & Guilds Gold Medal for excellence in rug making, and was subsequently invited to join Living Threads, a Midlands-based group of textile artists.

Recent exhibitions include ‘Fresh Art & Design 2’ – Summer 08 ‘Print One, Stitch One’ Textile exhibition in June 08, ‘In House’ exhibition in April 08, South Nottingham College Creative Studies Shows in 07 & 08, and ‘Resolution’ Photography Show in February 08.


Contact Information
Gillchoo@hotmail.com
0778 8122066